Sunday, September 18, 2011

Three Generations


During my stay in Mysore I've been very blessed to stay in the home of my Sanskrit and Yoga Sutras teacher, as well as classically trained Karnatic vocalist, Dr. M.A. Jayashree. This is a photo of her from Akshata's engagement. Her lovely South Indian family is very traditional in many ways...food, dress, and the accommodation of three generations under the same roof.


It's been quite challenging for me to memorize everyone's name and to understand all of the relationships. Therefore, I made this little chart to help me out and I'd thought I'd share it with you here. The names of the family members living in the Mysore home are in black, and the rest are color coded according to location. There are 14 family members living here, plus me. Remarkably, it doesn't seem that crowded.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good morning lisa! so enjoying reading about your experiences in india... it is a dream of mine i hope to fulfill one day to travel to india and study as well... thank you for sharing with us... heartfully, jennifer